The son of Donald and Jessie MacLeod, Rev. Kenneth MacLeod was born on Eigg on 2 February 1871, and was a lover of folklore, especially from his native isle. He collaborated often with Marjory Kennedy-Fraser, as her collector and Gaelic translator, for her three volumes of ‘The Songs of the Hebrides’ (1909-1921). He was a famous poet in both Gaelic and English, and is perhaps best known for works such as ‘The Road to the Isles’—a poem “written for the lads in France during the Great War.” He published two books of West Highland folklore, ‘The Road to the Isles’ (1927) and ‘The Road to Iona’ (1933). The work he did for the preservation of Gaelic literature was recognised in the degree of Doctor of Divinity which was conferred on him by St. Andrews University in 1932.


MacLeod was also a long time Church of Scotland minister; after being ordained in 1917, he was the minister at Colonsay and Oronsay until 1923, and then of Gigha and Cara until 1947. He died in Edinburgh on 9 July 1955 and is buried in Taynuilt cemetery, and he is commemorated in stained-glass windows in Gigha Church and in Iona Abbey.

Available Titles by Kenneth MacLeod: